Distance Education Council
"The question is no longer IF the internet can transform learning in powerful ways." - The Web-Based Education Commission.
Something very apt said! Today learning doesn’t mean a classroom or a teacher or a blackboard. It can rather be your new ipad or PC and your own intellect. This has definitely being made possible by what we call as Distance Learning. The major role to make this process functional is played by the Distance Education Council (DEC), New Delhi.
In a country like India, there exist a lot of geographical and cultural diversities which contribute greatly to the standard of living. Thus all cannot make it possible to afford a classroom study. There comes the role of DEC. Since its inception in 1985 under the Indira Gandhi National Open University Act, the main focus has primarily been the standard of education that it provides. The most essential roles played by DEC are:
- It takes the effort to start more universities and distance learning programmes so that institutions can come under these.
- It takes into account all the possible and feasible places where education can be made to reach thus with primary motive of educating every part of India.
- It reviews and evaluates its own performance annually. This definitely leads to more improvement of the education system.
We intend to give the names of some of DEC recognized universities which may help you to give your child a better quality of education. They are as follows:
- Annamalai University Directorate of Distance Education (Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu)
- Bangalore University Directorate of Correspondence Courses and Distance Education (Bangalore, Karnataka)
- Burdwan University Directorate of Distance Education (Bardhaman, West Bengal)
- Dr B R Ambedkar Open University (DBROU)(Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh)
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)(New Delhi)
- Karnataka State Open University (KSOU) (Mysore, Karnataka)
- NIMIS University School of Distance Learning (Mumbai, Maharashtra)
- Netaji Subhas Open University (NSOU) (Kolkata, West Bengal)
- Sikkim-Manipal University (SMU) (Gangtok, Sikkim)
- Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning (SCDL), (Pune)
- Tamil Nadu Open University (TNOU)(Chennai, Tamil Nadu)
- University of Mumbai - Institute of Distance Education (Mumbai)
DEC Approved Programmes in India:
DEC has approved varied forms of courses pan India. Starting from the undergraduate and post graduate courses to PhD ones it has its contribution. Some of the main courses which have DEC’s recognition all over India are:
- BTech in Aerospace Engineering
- Bachelor of Arts
- BCom with Major in Corporate Affairs and Administration
- Master of Business Administration (Banking & Finance)
- Master of Arts (Economics)
- Master of Computer Applications
- Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry
- Doctor of Philosophy in Economics
So get going! Learning is no harder process…education is just a few kilometers away!