Agriculture Universities in India
It is a well known fact that agriculture plays a very important role in the economy of India. Around 60 % of the Indian workforce is engaged in this sector. With agriculture being such a big sector, it is required to set up a strong research base for agricultural development in India.
Importance of Agricultural University
In past several years, the agricultural sector has seen a tremendous turn down, and it was lacking behind the other sectors of the Indian economy. The contribution of agriculture to the GDP of the country has become even less than 25%. Therefore it became important to have people with innovative ideas to deal with the challenges that this sector is currently facing. And thus it became necessary to have Agriculture Universities.
Each Agriculture University in India focuses on developing trained manpower with all the knowledge and ideas required for this field. The system of agriculture education is a bit different than professional fields. There is no middle level of education in this.
Vocational courses in agriculture are available at +2 levels.
List of Agriculture Universities in India
Currently there are 45 institutes that come under the list of Agriculture Universities in India including 5 Deemed and 2 central ones.
- Aliah University, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Bidhan Chandra Krishi Vishva Vidyalaya
- Birsa Agricultural University
- Central Agricultural University
- Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University
- Gujarat Agricultural University
- Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwa Vidyalaya
- Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwa Vidyalaya
- Punjab Agricultural University
- Rajasthan Agricultural University
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University
- Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Uttar Pradesh
- National Dairy Research Institute, Haryana
- Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Maharashtra
- Allahabad Agricultural Institute, Uttar Pradesh
- CAU, Imphal
- BHU, Varanasi
All these universities are members of the Indian Agricultural Universities Association (IAUA) which was established majorly to promote agricultural research and education in the country.
The administrative members of IAUA include President, Vice-President, Secretary-Treasurer and 3 members who meet in every quarter.
The Association holds annual meeting for deciding plan for the next meeting and also for the approval of its audited accounts, budget estimates for the next financial year and election of official members. The main source of income of this Association is through the contribution from the institutes that fall under the list of Agriculture Universities.
The Association has been bringing out a journal since 1987. It focuses on promoting ideas to improve norms and standards in education, research and extension in Agricultural Universities. It also acts as a Committee of information to assist communication. Thus Agricultural sector is also a very good career prospect for graduates.